Have you ever been with the family Christmas morning, gathered around the tree with coffee in hand and kids, shreds of wrapping paper, and toys underfoot when someone says something like, “I can’t get this box open!” or “It didn’t come with batteries.”
Yup, I’ve been there too.
Now, ahead of time, I gather of a basket of supplies that we’ll likely need and leave it by the Christmas tree. I even took it a step further and have the list of supplies auto-emailed to me every Dec 23rd so I don’t have to remember each year what to grab.
In case it’s helpful to others, here is that list:
- Scissors to open boxes and to cut ribbon
- Garbage bags to discard wrapping paper
- Paper and pen to take notes for thank you cards
- Black and silver Sharpies to label items (If the boys get the same item, they want them labeled immediately to avoid mix ups.)
- Batteries of common sizes (e.g., AA, AAA, and C)
- Screwdriver to open battery compartments
- A camera with its battery charged
- A quick grab set of food, like a mini box of cereal, for the kids
I know to many this is an insane amount of organization, and that’s fine. I like feeling prepared. If my planning can help someone else, all the better.